timeline

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

countdowns

Craig Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Anniversary

Friday, September 18, 2009

Recovery

Gavin’s surgery went smoothly on Wednesday. However, they did find that he has two hernias (yay, another surgery!). This can be an outpatient procedure, and we will hold off on it until he is fully recovered from this one. It is not life threatening right now. If we didn’t have the surgery though, his intestines could fall into the holes and cause issues (and they would have noticed by about 4 months along if he hadn’t of had his intestine surgery).

He has been sleeping a lot, which is good. Yesterday he was only on Tylenol (they have a prescription for morphine for him if he needs it) and the surgeon was feeling around his tummy and he didn’t cry, so he seems to be handling the pain well.
Last night he did have a bowel movement, but it sounds like it will still be a little while before he gets to eat.

Craig has been so good for us! He was able to go play at a friend’s house on Tuesday and hang out with Aunt Nini (who he has missed a little) on Wednesday during the surgery. Then yesterday, it was just me and him again. He was a little restless at the hospital, so we didn’t stay too long yesterday morning.

But he is so funny and goofy! I think it’s a really good thing we have him already because laughing helps things not be as stressful for us. He does this shoulder thing. Sometimes it’s to start dancing, other times, he just does it! It’s like a shrug, but he really gets into it! It always makes me at least smile, if not laugh.
Craig is talking and learning so many new words. He is really getting his colors down better.

Trevor is back to work this week, except for Wednesday. It stinks, but I think it helps a little to get back to somewhat of a routine.

I’m doing pretty good. Getting a little better most days, emotionally. Laughing does really help. I feel like I should be back to normal, but my back just kills me. I think I am really straining those muscles( really shouldn’t be picking up Craig sometimes; but what do you do when he falls asleep and really, really needs his nap, but I want to at least go in and see Gavin. I pick him up and carry him in).

Pumping is going good. It just is tiring (every two-three hours sure does sneak up on ya). But feeding will be about the same when Gavin finally gets home. Just maybe our freezer won’t be overflowing. Or maybe it still will be, since I’ll need some storage for when I go back to work. It’s amazing how much nicer the hospital grade pumps are. I rented one for at home and they have one available at the hospital to use.

Poor Gavin has been getting these little bumps/rash on his skin. One nurse guessed he just has really sensitive skin because it is worse usually on the side he is laying down on. Trevor noticed last night he has some on his legs too. And it’s getting better, but when he tore his tube off his face, that of course made lots and lots of bumps on his little face. These were from before the surgery and then the three incisions for part of his surgery.

1 comment:

Ashley and Ivy said...

Gavin is SOOO cute! Gavin was going to be Ivy's name if she was a boy!!! I hope he recovers fast! Im glad big brother is doing well too (= And I hope somehow you all find some time to rest.