timeline

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

countdowns

Craig Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Anniversary

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

My Computer experience

Introduction:
Just so everybody knows, this is Trevor. I don't want people to read this and think wow Marilene really knows alot about computers, because she doesn't. Which reminds me of a wonderful song sung at the end of Napoleon Dynamite about technology. Anywho.

Background:
Our computer is really old I bought it really cheap right after my mission and I have had problems with it ever since. Lately however, we have been having small issues, more than usual, with it. So I approached my dear wife, Lene, about it skillfully convinced her that we needed a new computer. This actually wasn't hard since she was getting sick of the thing anyways. We came up with the game plan to buy a new system; a couple hundred from each paycheck would go towards a brand new computer that I would build. However, about a week ago my lovely wife texted me and simply said "buy the computer now". I did not argue.

Experimental Procedures:
I searched long and hard for computer parts. I have never built a comp before, so I had to study alot to update my knowledge of things. I would say my knowledge of computers is descent but building the computer was a new level. I found the information I wanted though, and then I went to newegg.com aka heaven on the Internet for nerds. And the mixing and matching of components started.

Data and Experimentation:
I probably assembled some 20 different computers based on quality of parts, price, capacities, etc. Intel vs. amd, nvidia vs. radion, 2 gigs or 4 gigs of ram, blah blah blah.

Analysis and Conclusion:






























so this is here. Just for any nerds wanting to know:

  • Intel 3 GHz dual core 2 processor

  • 4 gigs of ram

  • Diamond Radeon 3870 512MB video card

  • 400 gig hard drive

  • 635 W power supply

  • Zalmann heat sink

  • 2 DVD rewritable drives

  • 9 usb

  • hd audio

  • 7 120 mm fans

  • 1 200mm fan

  • bells and whistles
i already had the 24" monitor because Lene loves me. in the end we spent more than expected but i also got more than i expected too. plus i learned how to put a computer together, and it worked on the first try. On top of it all the old computer the night i finished our new one. Luckily it wasn't the hard drive, so we didn't lose any datalike pics and videos.

2 comments:

Marilene said...

are you saying that i am dumb? i don't know ANYTHING about computers? I'm pretty smart. i love ya still :)

Cyndi said...

T you are such a NERD! I have a theory however on NERDS! Someday they will be running the world because they are the smartest. Marry a nerd I always told the YW Because they are smart and someday you will be rich!