timeline

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

countdowns

Craig Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Anniversary

Friday, July 25, 2008

Family time

I am trying to do better about family scripture time. I know in my family growing up, my parents always stressed the importance of reading scriptures together. I think it really helped us all learn to read. I was a struggling reader, but all I remember is that I did not read at the beginning of first grade and before the end of first grade i was able to read the Little House in the Big Woods (by Laura Ingalls wilder).

I have always felt that reading the scriptures and all of those not normal words in the Book of Mormon are a great challenge. So, I am trying to at least read a little and talk about spiritual things a little with Craig each day. It needs to become a habit. I added some links on my sidebar of many sites with ideas and help, so hopefully I can use those and our family will become stronger.

Let me know if you have any great ideas! keep in mind Craig is 19 months.

2 comments:

Cyndi said...

I am so proud of you for trying to teach Craig at such a tender age. Attention spans can make it so difficult to teach what you want him to know but keep it up. Something that I got off someone else that seemed to work pretty good with Emma was (we used this during the passing of the sacrament) I went to Desseret Book and got several of those .50 cent pictures and punched a hole in them and then put them all together on a ring. During sacrament when I needed Emma to be really quiet I would whisper in her ear the stories that went along with the picture. All of the pictures are of Christ in some situation and some of them are just Him with a child on his lap. When she got older she started saying that the picture was of her or of someone she knew in the ward. I still have the flip pictures and I still use them often in Sacrament. She goes through them much faster now but it calms her down almost immediately. I'm sure some of that is because of repetition but I know she knows the stories behind the pictures as well. I've seen people have a three ring binder that do the same thing but with many more pictures but I needed something small for us. I hate carrying around a big old book for church but if you wanted to do it in your home that would certainly be good. You could have a time each day where at first you just flipped through pictures and then as he got used to it you could start telling him little by little about each picture. The other thing that I thought of was to start helping him notice things outside by saying something to the effect of, "Look at the beautiful flowers Heavenly Father gave us today!" You know like emphasizing what Heavenly Father has done for us.

This Girl loves to Talk said...

thanks for your comment over at the FHE spot... this is why I continue to make up lessons each week... sweet comments from people like you.
Bobbie